1.25.1. RHBA-2011:0981: device-mapper bug fix and enhancement update
Updated device-mapper packages that fix several bugs and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
The device-mapper packages provide a library required by logical volume management utilities such as LVM2 and dmraid.
The device-mapper package has been upgraded to upstream version 1.02.63, which provides a number of bug fixes and enhancements over the previous version. (BZ#680958
) Those enhancements include:
* Unlink failure in the remove_lockfile() function in dmeventd is now checked for.
* Inactive table query support is now supported when using the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 kernel. The "dmsetup table --inactive" command can be run to view the contents of the inactive table instead of the live one, which is the default.
* The dm_task_secure_data() function has been added to libdevmapper to wipe the ioctl buffers in the kernel.
* A new "-R" option has been added to restart dmeventd without loss of state.
These updated device-mapper packages provide fixes for the following bugs:
* Previously, booting encrypted devices which used Multi-Level Security (MLS) enforcing mode failed with this error message:
/dev/mapper/temporary-cryptsetup-977: lsetfilecon failed: Operation not permitted
The problem occurred when cryptsetup created a device node and relabeled it using the lsetfilecon() function instead of using the setfscreatecon() function. This has been fixed and devices which used MLS enforcing mode now boot successfully. (BZ#584884
* When installing the kernel-2.6.18 packages, this error message was logged to the /root/install.log file: "matchpathcon failed: No such file or directory". The problem has been fixed and this error message is no longer logged to install.log with this update. (BZ#695374
* This update fixes a conflict which occurred when lvm2 and the device mapper debuginfo packages were installed together. (BZ#701715
Users are advised to upgrade to these updated device-mapper packages, which resolve these bugs and add these enhancements.