1.72.1. RHBA-2011:0501: kdebase bug fix update
An updated kdebase package that fixes various bugs is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
The K Desktop Environment (KDE) is a graphical desktop environment for the X Window System. The kdebase package includes core applications for the K Desktop Environment.
This update fixes the following bugs:
* Due to incorrect handling of transient groups, closing a dialog box of a Java application could cause the KWin window manager to terminate unexpectedly. This update applies an upstream patch that corrects this error, and KWin no longer crashes when a Java dialog box is closed. (BZ#501483
* Prior to this update, a race condition in the KWin window manager could cause it to ignore configure requests. Consequent to this, Motif-based applications may have been occasionally displayed with an incorrect window size. With this update, the underlying source code has been adapted to ensure the configure requests are received, and Motif applications are now always displayed with a correct window size. (BZ#561844
* When a user's password expires, the KDM login manager displays a dialog box that forces the user to change the password upon the next login. Previously, canceling this dialog box caused KDM to stop responding. With this update, the "Cancel" button has been removed from the dialog box, resolving this issue. (BZ#579707
* Previously, selecting the "Save History As..." option from the "Edit" menu after clearing the history could cause the Konsole terminal emulator to terminate unexpectedly with a segmentation fault. This update ensures that a correct variable is used to access the current session, and selecting the "Save History As..." menu option no longer causes Konsole to crash. (BZ#580485
* On a system with dual screens enabled, selecting the "Cascade" window placement option in the KDE Control Center and opening a new window on the second screen could cause KWin to consider the new window off screen, and thus change the window placement back to "Smart". This update corrects the window placement algorithm to take into account the position of the screens, so that the "Cascade" window placement now works on both screens. (BZ#584822
* Due to an error in the RPM spec file, when the lm_sensors-devel package was installed, the support for lm_sensors was automatically enabled on all architectures. However, the lm_sensors packages are only built for the x86 architectures, and an attempt to rebuild the kdebase package on the Itanium architecture failed. This update corrects the spec file to enable the lm_sensors support only on x86 architectures, so that the kdebase package can now be rebuilt successfully on all supported architectures. (BZ#638849
All users of kdebase are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which fixes these bugs.