Welcome to the Reference Guide.
The Reference Guide contains useful information about the Red Hat Enterprise Linux system. From fundamental concepts, such as the structure of the file system, to the finer points of system security and authentication control, we hope you find this book to be a valuable resource.
This guide is for you if you want to learn a bit more about how the Red Hat Enterprise Linux system works. Topics that you can explore within this manual include the following:
- The boot process
- The file system structure
- The X Window System
- Network services
- Security tools
1. Changes To This Manual
This manual has been reorganized for clarity and updated for the latest features of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.5.0. Some of the changes include:
- A New Samba Chapter
- The new Samba chapter explains various Samba daemons and configuration options. Special thanks to John Terpstra for his hard work in helping to complete this chapter.
- A New SELinux Chapter
- The new SELinux chapter explains various SELinux files and configuration options. Special thanks to Karsten Wade for his hard work in helping to complete this chapter.
- An Updated
procFile System Chapter
procfile system chapter includes updated information in regards to the 2.6 kernel. Special thanks to Arjan van de Ven for his hard work in helping to complete this chapter.
- An Updated Network File System (NFS) Chapter
- The Network File System (NFS) chapter has been revised and reorganized to include NFSv4.
- An Updated The X Window System Chapter
- The X Window System chapter has been revised to include information on the X11R6.8 release developed by the X.Org team.
Before reading this guide, you should be familiar with the contents of the Installation Guide concerning installation issues, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Introduction to System Adminitration for basic administration concepts, the System Administrators Guide for general customization instructions, and the Security Guide for security related instructions. This guide contains information about topics for advanced users.