EAP 6.4 & WebSockets with web server

Latest response

Hello, I already tried to ask about this here but since I haven't received any satisfactory response so far, I'm trying it here as well:

Based on:
- 16.2. Create a WebSocket Application
- Does JBoss EAP support the use of WebSockets?
- JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP) 6 Supported Configurations - Red Hat Customer Portal
- Does Red Hat / JBoss offer support for Apache, mod_jk, mod_proxy, or mod_cluster? - Red Hat Customer Portal (by the way why does this one mention mod_proxy as supported when the Supported Configurations document above doesn't mention mod_proxy at all?)
- 4. Unsupported and Deprecated Features
- Add support of websocket proxying. · modcluster/mod_cluster@e801c55 · GitHub
- Make the websocket proxy switchable. · modcluster/mod_cluster@f1f68c5 · GitHub

It seems that:
- EAP 6.4 itself supports WebSockets
- supported web server connectors mod_cluster 1.2.11 / mod_jk 1.2.40 don't support WebSockets
- mod_cluster 1.3.1 supports WebSockets (without failover) via Apache HTTP Server 2.4.x mod_proxy_wstunnel but this configuration isn't supported by EAP 6.4
- Apache HTTP Server 2.4.x mod_proxy_wstunnel alone (well, typically combined with mod_proxy_http + mod_proxy_balancer) supports WebSockets but this configuration isn't supported by EAP 6.4

How is one supposed to achieve a supported configuration with web server and WebSockets?

Petr Hostalek's picture

Responses

Hi Petr

I did see your question on the community forums but I didn't get much more information to update you unfortunately at the time. What I've done is reached out to our engineers in this area who are discussing this with product management. We appreciate your research in to the supported configurations, at the moment it looks like you are right and this isn't supported.

Like I said, our product team will be in touch as soon as they have more information regarding your question and be able to provide much more information.

Thanks
Mustafa

Hello again,

I'd like to apologize for the lull in my responsiveness. I just wanted to drop by and make a statement as I've had conversations around this post in support cases with a few individuals.

JWS 3.x is not presently supported as a proxy to EAP. It may work, but we haven't tested it at this time and therefore can't support it's use. We are working on testing this and will be supporting JWS as a proxy to EAP in a later 3.x release. Please reply with any questions; I'd be happy to answer them, hopefully a bit quicker than this reply

-Coty

According to the latest update in https://access.redhat.com/articles/2026253, websocket is supported in the combination of mod_cluster 1.3.1.Final + EAP 6.4. Also, there's someone verified the function of loadbalancing WebSocket connection with modcluster: https://developer.jboss.org/thread/260794 (last comment of the thread)

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.