RHSA-2018:2404 - Security Advisory
Important: rhev-hypervisor7 security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for rhev-hypervisor7 is now available for RHEV 3.X Hypervisor and Agents for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and RHEV 3.X Hypervisor and Agents Extended Lifecycle Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The rhev-hypervisor7 package provides a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor ISO disk image. The Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor is a dedicated Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisor. It includes everything necessary to run and manage virtual machines: A subset of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating environment and the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Agent.
- Modern operating systems implement virtualization of physical memory to efficiently use available system resources and provide inter-domain protection through access control and isolation. The L1TF issue was found in the way the x86 microprocessor designs have implemented speculative execution of instructions (a commonly used performance optimisation) in combination with handling of page-faults caused by terminated virtual to physical address resolving process. As a result, an unprivileged attacker could use this flaw to read privileged memory of the kernel or other processes and/or cross guest/host boundaries to read host memory by conducting targeted cache side-channel attacks. (CVE-2018-3620, CVE-2018-3646)
Red Hat would like to thank Intel OSSIRT (Intel.com) for reporting these issues.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization - ELS 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization - ELS 6 x86_64
- BZ - 1585005 - CVE-2018-3646 CVE-2018-3620 Kernel: hw: cpu: L1 terminal fault (L1TF)
- BZ - 1614065 - [Tracker] Tracking bug for RHEV-H 3.6.13 respin
Red Hat Virtualization - ELS 7
Red Hat Virtualization - ELS 6