RHSA-2018:2328 - Security Advisory
Important: rhvm-setup-plugins security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for rhvm-setup-plugins is now available for Red Hat Virtualization Engine 4.2.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The rhvm-setup-plugins package adds functionality exclusive only to Red Hat Virtualization Manager, and is not available for the upstream ovirt-engine. It includes the configuration of the Red Hat Support plugin, copying downstream-only artifacts to the ISO domain, and links to the knowledgebase and other support material.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version: rhvm-setup-plugins (4.2.10). (BZ#1596152)
- An industry-wide issue was found in the way many modern microprocessor designs have implemented speculative execution of Load & Store instructions (a commonly used performance optimization). It relies on the presence of a precisely-defined instruction sequence in the privileged code as well as the fact that memory read from address to which a recent memory write has occurred may see an older value and subsequently cause an update into the microprocessor's data cache even for speculatively executed instructions that never actually commit (retire). As a result, an unprivileged attacker could use this flaw to read privileged memory by conducting targeted cache side-channel attacks. (CVE-2018-3639, x86 AMD)
Red Hat would like to thank Ken Johnson (Microsoft Security Response Center) and Jann Horn (Google Project Zero) for reporting this issue.
- This update adds support for IBM POWER9 hypervisors with RHEL-ALT and POWER9 guests. It also adds support for POWER8 guests on a POWER9 hypervisor and live migration of POWER8 guests between POWER8 and POWER9 hypervisors. (BZ#1592320)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.2 x86_64
- BZ - 1566890 - CVE-2018-3639 hw: cpu: speculative store bypass
- BZ - 1592320 - [downstream clone - 4.2.5] add POWER 9 to the 4.2 cluster level
Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.2