RHSA-2018:2166 - Security Advisory
Moderate: ansible security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update for ansible is now available for Ansible Engine 2.6.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Ansible is a simple model-driven configuration management, multi-node deployment, and remote-task execution system. Ansible works over SSH and does not require any software or daemons to be installed on remote nodes. Extension modules can be written in any language and are transferred to managed machines automatically.
The following packages have been upgraded to a newer upstream version: ansible (2.6.1)
- ansible: Inventory variables are loaded from current working directory when running ad-hoc command that can lead to code execution (CVE-2018-10874)
- ansible: ansible.cfg is being read from current working directory allowing possible code execution (CVE-2018-10875)
For more details about the security issue(s), including the impact, a CVSS score, and other related information, refer to the CVE page(s) listed in the References section.
This issue was discovered by Brian Coca (Red Hat), and Michael Scherer (OSAS).
- Fix junos_config confirm commit timeout issue (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/41527)
- file module - The touch subcommand had its diff output broken during the 2.6.x development cycle. The patch to fix that broke check mode. This is now fixed (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/42111)
- inventory manager - This fixes required options being populated before the inventory config file is read, so the required options may be set in the config file.
- nsupdate - allow hmac-sha384 https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/42209
- win_domain - fixes typo in one of the AD cmdlets https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/41536
- win_group_membership - uses the internal Ansible SID conversion logic and uses that when comparing group membership instead of the name https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/40649
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Ansible Engine 2.6 x86_64
- Red Hat Ansible Engine 2.6 ppc64le
- BZ - 1596528 - CVE-2018-10874 ansible: Inventory variables are loaded from current working directory when running ad-hoc command that can lead to code execution
- BZ - 1596533 - CVE-2018-10875 ansible: ansible.cfg is being read from current working directory allowing possible code execution
Red Hat Ansible Engine 2.6