RHSA-2018:1948 - Security Advisory
Moderate: ansible security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update for ansible is now available for Red Hat Ansible Engine 2 for RHEL 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Ansible is a simple model-driven configuration management, multi-node deployment, and remote-task execution system. Ansible works over SSH and does not require any software or daemons to be installed on remote nodes. Extension modules can be written in any language and are transferred to managed machines automatically.
The following packages have been upgraded to a newer upstream version: ansible (2.5.5)
- ansible: Ansible through version 2.5 does not properly honour the no_log option with failed task iterations. When a list of secret items is supplied to a task and a task iteration fails, secrets can be disclosed in logs despite the no_log option being enabled. (CVE-2018-10855)
Red Hat would like to thank Tobias Henkel (BMW Car IT GmbH) for
reporting these issues.
- Changed the admin_users config option to not include "admin" by default
as admin is frequently used for a non-privileged account
- aws_s3 - add async support to the action plugin
- aws_s3 - fix decrypting vault files
- ec2_ami - cast the device_mapping volume size to an int
- eos_logging - fix idempotency issues
- cache plugins - a cache timeout of 0 means the cache will not expire.
- ios_logging - fix idempotency issues
- ios/nxos/eos_config - don't retrieve config in running_config when config
is provided for diff (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/41400)
- nxos_banner - fix multiline banner issue
- nxos terminal plugin - fix output truncation
- nxos_l3_interface - fix no switchport issue with loopback and svi
- nxos_snapshot - fix compare_option
for details on this release.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes
described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Ansible Engine 2 x86_64
- BZ - 1588855 - CVE-2018-10855 ansible: Failed tasks do not honour no_log option allowing for secrets to be disclosed in logs
Red Hat Ansible Engine 2