RHSA-2018:0051 - Security Advisory
Important: rhevm-setup-plugins security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for rhevm-setup-plugins is now available for RHEV Engine version 4.1.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The rhevm-setup-plugins package adds functionality exclusive only to Red Hat Virtualization Manager, and is not available for the upstream ovirt-engine. It includes the configuration of the Red Hat Support plugin, copying downstream-only artifacts to the ISO domain, and links to the knowledgebase and other support material.
The following package has been upgraded to a later upstream version: rhevm-setup-plugins (4.1.4). (BZ#1527107)
- An industry-wide issue was found in the way many modern microprocessor designs have implemented speculative execution of instructions (a commonly used performance optimization). There are three primary variants of the issue which differ in the way the speculative execution can be exploited. Variant CVE-2017-5715 triggers the speculative execution by utilizing branch target injection. It relies on the presence of a precisely-defined instruction sequence in the privileged code as well as the fact that memory accesses may cause allocation into the microprocessor's data cache even for speculatively executed instructions that never actually commit (retire). As a result, an unprivileged attacker could use this flaw to cross the syscall and guest/host boundaries and read privileged memory by conducting targeted cache side-channel attacks. (CVE-2017-5715)
Note: This is the rhevm-setup-plugins side of the CVE-2017-5715 mitigation.
Red Hat would like to thank Google Project Zero for reporting this issue.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 4.1 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.1 x86_64
- BZ - 1519780 - CVE-2017-5715 hw: cpu: speculative execution branch target injection
- BZ - 1527107 - Upgrade rhevm-setup-plugins to 4.1.4
Red Hat Virtualization 4.1
Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.1