RHSA-2017:3481 - Security Advisory
Important: heketi security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for heketi is now available for Red Hat Gluster Storage 3.3 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Heketi provides a RESTful management interface which can be used to manage the life cycle of GlusterFS volumes. With Heketi, cloud services like OpenStack Manila, Kubernetes, and OpenShift can dynamically provision GlusterFS volumes with any of the supported durability types. Heketi will automatically determine the location for bricks across the cluster, making sure to place bricks and its replicas across different failure domains. Heketi also supports any number of GlusterFS clusters, allowing cloud services to provide network file storage without being limited to a single GlusterFS cluster.
- A security-check flaw was found in the way the Heketi server API handled user requests. An authenticated Heketi user could send specially crafted requests to the Heketi server, resulting in remote command execution as the user running Heketi server and possibly privilege escalation. (CVE-2017-15103)
- An access flaw was found in heketi, where the heketi.json configuration file was world readable. An attacker having local access to the Heketi server could read plain-text passwords from the heketi.json file. (CVE-2017-15104)
Red Hat would like to thank Markus Krell (NTT Security) for reporting CVE-2017-15103. The CVE-2017-15104 issue was discovered by Siddharth Sharma (Red Hat).
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Gluster Storage Server for On-premise 3 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1510147 - CVE-2017-15103 heketi: OS command injection in heketi API
- BZ - 1510149 - CVE-2017-15104 heketi: Information disclosure through world readable file
Red Hat Gluster Storage Server for On-premise 3 for RHEL 7