RHSA-2017:3141 - Security Advisory
Important: rhvm-appliance security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for rhvm-appliance is now available for RHEV 4.X RHEV-H and Agents for RHEL-7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The RHV-M Virtual Appliance automates the process of installing and configuring the Red Hat Virtualization Manager. The appliance is available to download as an OVA file from the Customer Portal.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version: rhvm-appliance (20171019.0). (BZ#1496586)
- A deserialization flaw was discovered in the jackson-databind which could allow an unauthenticated user to perform code execution by sending the maliciously crafted input to the readValue method of the ObjectMapper. (CVE-2017-7525)
- A vulnerability was found in Jasypt that would allow an attacker to perform a timing attack on password hash comparison. (CVE-2014-9970)
- It was found that when the security manager's reflective permissions, which allows it to access the private members of the class, are granted to Hibernate Validator, a potential privilege escalation can occur. By allowing the calling code to access those private members without the permission an attacker may be able to validate an invalid instance and access the private member value via ConstraintViolation#getInvalidValue(). (CVE-2017-7536)
Red Hat would like to thank Liao Xinxi (NSFOCUS) for reporting CVE-2017-7525. The CVE-2017-7536 issue was discovered by Gunnar Morling (Red Hat).
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 4 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization Host 4 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1455566 - CVE-2014-9970 jasypt: Vulnerable to timing attack against the password hash comparison
- BZ - 1462702 - CVE-2017-7525 jackson-databind: Deserialization vulnerability via readValue method of ObjectMapper
- BZ - 1465573 - CVE-2017-7536 hibernate-validator: Privilege escalation when running under the security manager
- BZ - 1496586 - [Rebase] Tracker for rhvm-appliance 4.1.7
Red Hat Virtualization 4 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Virtualization Host 4 for RHEL 7