RHSA-2017:2810 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
An update is now available for Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform is a platform for Java applications based on the JBoss Application Server.
This release of Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 7.0.8 serves as a replacement for Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 7.0.7, and includes bug fixes and enhancements, which are documented in the Release Notes document linked to in the References.
- It was found that when using remote logging with log4j socket server the log4j server would deserialize any log event received via TCP or UDP. An attacker could use this flaw to send a specially crafted log event that, during deserialization, would execute arbitrary code in the context of the logger application. (CVE-2017-5645)
- A vulnerability was found in Jasypt that would allow an attacker to perform a timing attack on password hash comparison. (CVE-2014-9970)
- It was found that an information disclosure flaw in Bouncy Castle could enable a local malicious application to gain access to user's private information. (CVE-2015-6644)
- It was found that while parsing the SAML messages the StaxParserUtil class of Picketlink replaces special strings for obtaining attribute values with system property. This could allow an attacker to determine values of system properties at the attacked system by formatting the SAML request ID field to be the chosen system property which could be obtained in the "InResponseTo" field in the response. (CVE-2017-2582)
- It was found that when the security manager's reflective permissions, which allows it to access the private members of the class, are granted to Hibernate Validator, a potential privilege escalation can occur. By allowing the calling code to access those private members without the permission an attacker may be able to validate an invalid instance and access the private member value via ConstraintViolation#getInvalidValue(). (CVE-2017-7536)
The CVE-2017-2582 issue was discovered by Hynek Mlnarik (Red Hat) and the CVE-2017-7536 issue was discovered by Gunnar Morling (Red Hat).
Before applying this update, back up your existing Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform installation and deployed applications.
The References section of this erratum contains a download link (you must log in to download the update).
- JBoss Enterprise Application Platform Text-Only Advisories x86_64
- BZ - 1410481 - CVE-2017-2582 picketlink, keycloak: SAML request parser replaces special strings with system properties
- BZ - 1443635 - CVE-2017-5645 log4j: Socket receiver deserialization vulnerability
- BZ - 1444015 - CVE-2015-6644 bouncycastle: Information disclosure in GCMBlockCipher
- BZ - 1455566 - CVE-2014-9970 jasypt: Vulnerable to timing attack against the password hash comparison
- BZ - 1465573 - CVE-2017-7536 hibernate-validator: Privilege escalation when running under the security manager