RHSA-2017:1685 - Security Advisory
Important: ansible security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for ansible is now available for RHEV Engine version 4.1.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Ansible is a simple model-driven configuration management, multi-node deployment, and remote-task execution system. Ansible works over SSH and does not require any software or daemons to be installed on remote nodes. Extension modules can be written in any language and are transferred to managed machines automatically.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version: ansible (188.8.131.52). (BZ#1446527)
- An input validation vulnerability was found in Ansible's handling of data sent from client systems. An attacker with control over a client system being managed by Ansible and the ability to send facts back to the Ansible server could use this flaw to execute arbitrary code on the Ansible server using the Ansible server privileges. (CVE-2016-9587)
- An input validation vulnerability was found in Ansible's handling of data sent from client systems. An attacker with control over a client system being managed by Ansible, and the ability to send facts back to the Ansible server, could use this flaw to execute arbitrary code on the Ansible server using the Ansible server privileges. (CVE-2017-7466)
- An input validation vulnerability was found in Ansible's mysql_user module which may fail to correctly change a password in certain circumstances. Thus the previous password would still be active when it should have been changed. (CVE-2016-8647)
The CVE-2017-7466 issue was discovered by Evgeni Golov (Red Hat).
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 4.1 x86_64
- BZ - 1396174 - CVE-2016-8647 Ansible: in some circumstances the mysql_user module may fail to correctly change a password
- BZ - 1404378 - CVE-2016-9587 Ansible: Compromised remote hosts can lead to running commands on the Ansible controller
- BZ - 1439212 - CVE-2017-7466 ansible: Arbitrary code execution on control node (incomplete fix for CVE-2016-9587)
- BZ - 1446527 - Upgrade ansible to version 184.108.40.206
Red Hat Virtualization 4.1