RHSA-2017:1676 - Security Advisory
Moderate: Red Hat JBoss BRMS security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update is now available for Red Hat JBoss BRMS.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Red Hat JBoss BRMS is a business rules management system for the management, storage, creation, modification, and deployment of JBoss Rules.
This release of Red Hat JBoss BRMS 6.4.4 serves as a replacement for Red Hat JBoss BRMS 6.4.3, and includes bug fixes and enhancements, which are documented in the Release Notes document linked to in the References.
- It was found that GZIPInterceptor is enabled when not necessarily required in RESTEasy. An attacker could use this flaw to launch a Denial of Service attack. (CVE-2016-6346)
- It was discovered that under certain conditions RESTEasy could be forced to parse a request with YamlProvider, resulting in unmarshalling of potentially untrusted data. An attacker could possibly use this flaw execute arbitrary code with the permissions of the application using RESTEasy. (CVE-2016-9606)
- It was found that logback is vulnerable to a deserialization issue. Logback can be configured to allow remote logging through SocketServer/ServerSocketReceiver interfaces that can accept untrusted serialized data. Authenticated attackers on the adjacent network can leverage this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code through deserialization of custom gadget chains. (CVE-2017-5929)
Red Hat would like to thank Mikhail Egorov (Odin) for reporting CVE-2016-6346 and Moritz Bechler (AgNO3 GmbH & Co. KG) for reporting CVE-2016-9606.
Before applying the update, back up your existing installation, including all applications, configuration files, databases and database settings, and so on.
It is recommended to halt the server by stopping the JBoss Application Server process before installing this update; after installing the update, restart the server by starting the JBoss Application Server process.
The References section of this erratum contains a download link (you must log in to download the update).
- Red Hat JBoss Middleware Text-Only Advisories for MIDDLEWARE 1 x86_64
- BZ - 1372120 - CVE-2016-6346 RESTEasy: Abuse of GZIPInterceptor in RESTEasy can lead to denial of service attack
- BZ - 1400644 - CVE-2016-9606 Resteasy: Yaml unmarshalling vulnerable to RCE
- BZ - 1432858 - CVE-2017-5929 logback: Serialization vulnerability in SocketServer and ServerSocketReceiver
Red Hat JBoss Middleware Text-Only Advisories for MIDDLEWARE 1