RHSA-2017:1599 - Security Advisory
Important: ansible security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for ansible is now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10.0 (Newton).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Ansible is a simple model-driven configuration management, multi-node deployment, and remote-task execution system. Ansible works over SSH and does not require any software or daemons to be installed on remote nodes. Extension modules can be written in any language and are transferred to managed machines automatically.
[Updated 24th July 2017]
This erratum incorrectly included the flaw CVE-2017-7473 (ansible: Potential information disclosure via no_log directive). This flaw has been removed. No changes have been made to the packages.
- An input validation vulnerability was found in Ansible's handling of data sent from client systems. An attacker with control over a client system being managed by Ansible, and the ability to send facts back to the Ansible server, could use this flaw to execute arbitrary code on the Ansible server using the Ansible server privileges. (CVE-2017-7466)
- An input validation flaw was found in Ansible, where it fails to properly mark lookup-plugin results as unsafe. If an attacker could control the results of lookup() calls, they could inject Unicode strings to be parsed by the jinja2 templating system, resulting in code execution. By default, the jinja2 templating language is now marked as 'unsafe' and is not evaluated. (CVE-2017-7481)
These issues were discovered by Evgeni Golov (Red Hat).
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 10 x86_64
- BZ - 1439212 - CVE-2017-7466 ansible: Arbitrary code execution on control node (incomplete fix for CVE-2016-9587)
- BZ - 1450018 - CVE-2017-7481 ansible: Security issue with lookup return not tainting the jinja2 environment
Red Hat OpenStack 10