RHSA-2017:1205 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
An update for qemu-kvm-rhev is now available for RHEV 3.X Hypervisor and Agents for RHEL-6.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution for Linux on a variety of architectures. The qemu-kvm-rhev packages provide the user-space component for running virtual machines that use KVM in environments managed by Red Hat products.
- A heap buffer overflow flaw was found in QEMU's Cirrus CLGD 54xx VGA emulator's VNC display driver support; the issue could occur when a VNC client attempted to update its display after a VGA operation is performed by a guest. A privileged user/process inside a guest could use this flaw to crash the QEMU process or, potentially, execute arbitrary code on the host with privileges of the QEMU process. (CVE-2016-9603)
- Quick Emulator (QEMU) built with the Cirrus CLGD 54xx VGA Emulator support is vulnerable to an out-of-bounds r/w access issue. The vulnerability could occur while copying VGA data via various bitblt functions. A privileged user inside the guest could use this flaw to crash the QEMU process (DoS) or potentially execute arbitrary code on a host with privileges of the host's QEMU process. (CVE-2017-7980)
- Quick Emulator (QEMU) built with the VNC display driver support is vulnerable to an out-of-bounds memory access issue. The vulnerability could occur while refreshing the VNC display surface area in the 'vnc_refresh_server_surface'. A user/process inside the guest could use this flaw to crash the QEMU process, resulting in a DoS. (CVE-2017-2633)
- Quick Emulator (QEMU) built with the Cirrus CLGD 54xx VGA Emulator support is vulnerable to an out-of-bounds access issue. The vulnerability could occur while copying VGA data using bitblt functions (for example, cirrus_bitblt_rop_fwd_transp_). A privileged user inside a guest could use this flaw to crash the QEMU process, resulting in DoS. (CVE-2017-7718)
Red Hat would like to thank Jiangxin (PSIRT Huawei Inc.) Li Qiang (Qihoo 360 Gear Team) for reporting CVE-2017-7980 and Jiangxin (PSIRT Huawei Inc.) for reporting CVE-2017-7718.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
After installing this update, shut down all running virtual machines. Once all virtual machines have shut down, start them again for this update to take effect.
- Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- BZ - 1425939 - CVE-2017-2633 Qemu: VNC: memory corruption due to unchecked resolution limit
- BZ - 1430056 - CVE-2016-9603 Qemu: cirrus: heap buffer overflow via vnc connection
- BZ - 1443441 - CVE-2017-7718 Qemu: display: cirrus: OOB read access issue
- BZ - 1444371 - CVE-2017-7980 Qemu: display: cirrus: OOB r/w access issues in bitblt routines
Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 6