RHSA-2017:0549 - Security Advisory
Moderate: redhat-virtualization-host security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update for imgbased, redhat-release-virtualization-host, and redhat-virtualization-host is now available for RHEV 4.X, RHEV-H, and Agents for RHEL-7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The redhat-virtualization-host packages provide the Red Hat Virtualization Host. These packages include redhat-release-virtualization-host, ovirt-node, and rhev-hypervisor. Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) are installed using a special build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with only the packages required to host virtual machines. RHVH features a Cockpit user interface for monitoring the host's resources and performing administrative tasks.
The following packages have been upgraded to a later upstream version: redhat-release-virtualization-host (4.0), imgbased (0.8.16), redhat-virtualization-host (4.0). (BZ#1410848, BZ#1430244)
- A vulnerability was discovered in SPICE in the server's protocol handling. An authenticated attacker could send crafted messages to the SPICE server causing a heap overflow leading to a crash or possible code execution. (CVE-2016-9577)
- A vulnerability was discovered in SPICE in the server's protocol handling. An attacker able to connect to the SPICE server could send crafted messages which would cause the process to crash. (CVE-2016-9578)
These issues were discovered by Frediano Ziglio (Red Hat).
- Previously, imgbased blindly copied /etc from old layers into new layers in order to keep configuration changes between upgrades. This meant that imgbased's behavior differed from RPM, in that unmodified configuration files would be preserved across imgbased upgrades whereas 'yum upgrade' of the same packages would have replaced them. Now, imgbased compares the sums of files to the originals kept per-layer in /usr/share/factory/etc so that unmodified configuration files are now handled appropriately. (BZ#1418179)
- Previously, some earlier versions of Red Hat Virtualization Host (RHVH) repeatedly prompted for upgrades, even when the most recent version was already installed. This was caused by the RHVH image containing a placeholder package that was made obsolete in order to upgrade. However, the package that was used to upgrade was not propagated to the rpmdb on the new image. Now, upgrading includes the update package in the rpmdb on the new image. (BZ#1422476)
- With this update, Red Hat Virtualization Host (RHVH) now includes the 'screen' package. Previously, ovirt-hosted-engine-setup invoked from a CLI warned users that the 'screen' package was not installed. Though this was not an explicit requirement when using cockpit, including it provides a better experience if using the CLI. (BZ#1403729)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 4 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization Host 4 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1399566 - CVE-2016-9578 spice: Remote DoS via crafted message
- BZ - 1401603 - CVE-2016-9577 spice: Buffer overflow in main_channel_alloc_msg_rcv_buf when reading large messages
- BZ - 1403729 - [z-stream clone - 4.0.7] screen package is not available in RHV 4.0 - despite warnings to run HE deploy within screen session
- BZ - 1410848 - [TestOnly] RHV-H 7.3 susceptible to kernel BZ 1404060
- BZ - 1418179 - [z-stream clone - 4.0.7] unmodified configuration files should be updated during update.
- BZ - 1422476 - [downstream clone - 4.0.7] The same update can be installed multiple times
- BZ - 1426012 - Auto installation failed for rhvh4.0-20170221.0
- BZ - 1426038 - Dashboard of cockpit is missing with RHVH 4.0.7
- BZ - 1427149 - [downstream clone - 4.0.7] Sshd.service could not work normally after upgrade
- BZ - 1427449 - [downstream clone - 4.0.7] There is error information during update to RHVH4.1 with "yum update"
- BZ - 1428375 - [downstream clone - 4.0.7] RHVH new build boot entry miss when upgrade from wrapper to wrapper
- BZ - 1429594 - [downstream clone - 4.0.7] RHVH 4.0.7 cannot be up again in the side of RHEVM 4.0 after upgrade
- BZ - 1430244 - Upgrade imgbased to 0.8.16
Red Hat Virtualization 4 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Virtualization Host 4 for RHEL 7