RHSA-2016:2991 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
An update for openstack-nova, openstack-cinder, and openstack-glance is now available for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8.0 (Liberty).
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
OpenStack Compute (nova) launches and schedules large networks of virtual machines, creating a redundant and scalable cloud computing platform. Compute provides the software, control panels, and APIs required to orchestrate a cloud, including running virtual machine instances and controlling access through users and projects.
OpenStack Block Storage (cinder) manages block storage mounting and the presentation of such mounted block storage to instances. The backend physical storage can consist of local disks, or Fiber Channel, iSCSI, and NFS mounts attached to Compute nodes. In addition, Block Storage supports volume backups, and snapshots for temporary save and restore operations. Programatic management is available via Block Storage's API.
OpenStack Image Service (glance) provides discovery, registration, and delivery services for disk and server images. The service provides the ability to copy or snapshot a server image, and immediately store it away. Stored images can be used as a template to get new servers up and running quickly and more consistently than installing a server operating system and individually configuring additional services.
The following packages have been upgraded to a newer upstream version: openstack-nova (12.0.5), openstack-cinder (7.0.3), openstack-glance (11.0.1). (BZ#1381466, BZ#1396263)
- A resource vulnerability in the OpenStack Compute (nova), Block Storage (cinder), and Image (glance) services was found in their use of qemu-img. An unprivileged user could consume as much as 4 GB of RAM on the compute host by uploading a malicious image. This flaw could lead possibly to host out-of-memory errors and negatively affect other running tenant instances. (CVE-2015-5162)
This issue was discovered by Richard W.M. Jones (Red Hat).
- There is a known issue with Unicode string handling in the OSProfiler library. Consequently, the creation of a Block Storage (cinder) snapshot will fail if it uses non-ASCII characters. With this update, the OSProfiler library is not loaded unless it is specifically enabled in the cinder configuration. As a result, the Unicode handling issue in OSProfiler is still present, and will result in the same failure if OSProfiler is used, however it will be unlikely to occur in most cinder configurations. A more in-depth resolution for this issue is not currently in scope. (BZ#1383899)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 8 x86_64
- BZ - 1268303 - CVE-2015-5162 openstack-nova/glance/cinder: Malicious image may exhaust resources
- BZ - 1357461 - Incorrect host cpu is given to emulator threads when cpu_realtime_mask flag is set.
- BZ - 1379385 - Floating IP shows as associated in Nova after deletion[rhos-8.0]
- BZ - 1381466 - rebase to 12.0.5
- BZ - 1381534 - Multi-Ephemeral instance Live Block Migration fails silently
- BZ - 1381965 - [Backport] Block based migration doesn't work for instances that have a volume attached
- BZ - 1383899 - Can not create cinder snapshot if the description contains non-ascii code
- BZ - 1385486 - [8.0.z] After upgrading from RHOSP 6 to RHOSP 8 existing instances fail to start.
- BZ - 1386263 - NetApp Cinder driver: cloning operations are unsuccessful
- BZ - 1387467 - glance image-create owner option not working
- BZ - 1387617 - Can't do image-create for suspended instance booted from volume [RHOS-8]
- BZ - 1390109 - [tempest] test_delete_attached_volume fails in RHOS8
- BZ - 1396263 - Rebase to 7.0.3
Red Hat OpenStack 8