RHSA-2016:2956 - Security Advisory
Moderate: Red Hat Ceph Storage 2.1 security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update is now available for Red Hat Ceph Storage 2.1. This erratum is for Red Hat Ceph Storage that runs on Ubuntu 16.04.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Red Hat Ceph Storage is a scalable, open, software-defined storage platform that combines the most stable version of the Ceph storage system with a Ceph management platform, deployment utilities, and support services.
- A flaw was found in the way Ceph Object Gateway would process cross-origin HTTP requests if the CORS policy was set to allow origin on a bucket. A remote unauthenticated attacker could use this flaw to cause denial of service by sending a specially-crafted cross-origin HTTP request. (CVE-2016-9579)
- Due to a bug in the underlying source code, OSD nodes sometimes looped through the entire placement group, not only the requested segment, during the scrubbing process. Consequently, in some cases, the OSD nodes reached the 'suicide timeout' and terminated. This bug has been fixed, and OSD nodes no longer terminate due to the described problem. (BZ#1394007)
- Due to changes in encoding of the OSD map in the ceph package version 10.2.2, upgrading from Red Hat Ceph Storage 1.3 to 2.0 sometimes led to serious performance issues on large clusters that contain hundreds of OSDs. With this update, the underlying source code has been improved, and upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0 works as expected. (BZ#1402185)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 2 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 2 x86_64
- BZ - 1394007 - filestore: can get stuck in an unbounded loop during scrub
- BZ - 1402185 - jewel: osd: condition OSDMap encoding on features
- BZ - 1403003 - An anonymous user can provoke an abort() of the RGW server by sending a request with an invalid HTTP Origin header, against buckets with CORS AllowedOrigin rules.
- BZ - 1403245 - CVE-2016-9579 ceph: Object Gateway server DoS by sending invalid cross-origin HTTP request
Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 2
Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 2