RHSA-2016:2822 - Security Advisory
Moderate: Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update is now available for Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
This release of Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite 6.4.0 serves as a replacement for Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite 6.3.4, and includes bug fixes and enhancements, which are documented in the Release Notes of the patch linked to in the References section.
- It was found that several XML parsers used by XStream had default settings that would expand entity references. A remote, unauthenticated attacker could use this flaw to read files accessible to the user running the application server, and potentially perform other more advanced XXE attacks. (CVE-2016-3674)
- Drools Workbench contains the path traversal vulnerability. The vulnerability allows a remote, authenticated attacker to bypass the directory restrictions and retrieve arbitrary files from the affected host. (CVE-2016-7041)
- JBoss BRMS 6 and BPM Suite 6 are vulnerable to a stored XSS via business process editor. The flaw is due to an incomplete fix for CVE-2016-5398. Remote, authenticated attackers that have privileges to create business processes can store scripts in them, which are not properly sanitized before showing to other users, including admins. (CVE-2016-8608)
Red Hat would like to thank Jonas Bauters (NVISO) for reporting CVE-2016-7041. The CVE-2016-8608 issue was discovered by Kirill Gaevskii (Red Hat).
Before applying the update, back up your existing installation, including all applications, configuration files, databases and database settings, and so on.
It is recommended to halt the server by stopping the JBoss Application Server process before installing this update; after installing the update, restart the server by starting the JBoss Application Server process.
The References section of this erratum contains a download link (you must log in to download the update).
- Red Hat JBoss Middleware Text-Only Advisories for MIDDLEWARE 1 x86_64
- BZ - 1321789 - CVE-2016-3674 XStream: enabled processing of external entities
- BZ - 1375757 - CVE-2016-7041 Drools Workbench: Path traversal vulnerability
- BZ - 1386806 - CVE-2016-8608 Stored XSS in business process editor
Red Hat JBoss Middleware Text-Only Advisories for MIDDLEWARE 1