RHSA-2016:2127 - Security Advisory
Important: kernel security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for kernel is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.6 Long
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of
Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives
a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE
link(s) in the References section.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating
- A race condition was found in the way the Linux kernel's memory subsystem
handled the copy-on-write (COW) breakage of private read-only memory mappings.
An unprivileged, local user could use this flaw to gain write access to
otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the
system. (CVE-2016-5195, Important)
Red Hat would like to thank Phil Oester for reporting this issue.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in
this advisory, refer to:
The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.6 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.6 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.6 i386
- BZ - 1384344 - CVE-2016-5195 kernel: mm: privilege escalation via MAP_PRIVATE COW breakage
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.6