RHSA-2015:2650 - Security Advisory
Moderate: Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 7 director update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated packages that fix two security issues and multiple bugs are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 7.0 director
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Moderate security
impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which
gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the CVE link in the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform director provides the
facilities for deploying and monitoring a private or public
infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) cloud based on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux OpenStack Platform.
It was discovered that the director's NeutronMetadataProxySharedSecret
parameter remained specified at the default value of 'unset'. This value
is used by OpenStack Networking to sign instance headers; if unchanged,
an attacker knowing the shared secret could use this flaw to spoof
OpenStack Networking metadata requests. (CVE-2015-5303)
A flaw was found in the director (openstack-tripleo-heat-templates) where
the RabbitMQ credentials defaulted to guest/guest and supplied values in
the configuration were not used. As a result, all deployed overclouds used
the same credentials (guest/guest). A remote, non-authenticated attacker
could use this flaw to access RabbitMQ services in the deployed cloud.
The CVE-2015-5303 issue was discovered by Steven Hardy of Red Hat.
Red Hat would like to thank Kota Akatsuka of NEC for reporting the
Additional bug fixes include:
- Previously, hard-coded parameters were passed directly to Orchestration
(heat). As a result, the parameters could not be overridden properly. With
this update, a custom environment file from the parameters collected is
generated and pass as 'parameter_defaults', allowing parameters to be
- Previously, when scaling out Compute nodes in the Overcloud after
an update was performed, the default UpdateIdentifier parameter in the
Orchestration stack caused the new node to attempt an update
as soon as it was coming up. Because the yum repositories were not
configured on the new nodes yet, this caused the update to fail,
which in turn caused the scale out to fail. With this update, the
client, python-rdomanager-oscplugin, does not clear the UpdateIdentifier
parameter on subsequent stack-update attempts (including the scale out)
until after the initial update has been completed. As a result, scale-out
attempts after the update now succeed.(BZ#1290796)
- Previously, the 'debug' parameter was enabled and hard-coded in the
overcloud deployment code, and the user could not disable debugging.
With this update, the 'debug' parameter has been removed from default
hard-coded parameters in the overcloud deployment code. As a result,
the user can now control the debugging level in the environment file
used to deploy the overcloud.(BZ#1259084)
- Previously, deployment validation checked all OpenStack Bare Metal
(ironic) nodes, including ones in maintenance mode (even though these
cannot be deployed), which resulted in false errors and warnings.
With this update, nodes in maintenance mode are skipped by the
validation step and false errors are no longer produced.(BZ#1261863)
- Previously, the 'tempest-deployer-input.conf' file contained an
incorrect stack_owner_role value, which meant that using this file for
post-install validation caused Tempest test failures. With this update,
the stack_owner_role value generated during deployment has been changed.
As a result, fewer Tempest tests will fail during post-install validation.
- Previously, breakpoints were not removed when an update operation
failed. If a user ran the "openstack overcloud update" command and it
failed, the subsequent stack-update command (for example, "openstack
overcloud deploy") could be stuck in the 'IN_PROGRESS' state waiting for the
removal of breakpoints. With this update, all existing CLI commands
explicitly remove any existing breakpoints when running a stack-update
operation, and stack-update operations do not get stuck in the 'IN_PROGRESS'
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 7.0 director users are
advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which correct these issues
and add these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1231885 - Nodes reconnection to the broker not working properly. Compute nodes are not registered again
- BZ - 1241434 - Add removal policies params for resource groups
- BZ - 1245737 - hard-coded parameters can't be overridden
- BZ - 1252083 - Secure rabbitmq installation for overcloud
- BZ - 1259084 - Unable to override value of Debug to deployment
- BZ - 1260776 - Error is displayed in the beginning of the deploy: "nodes with no profile that will not be used"
- BZ - 1261863 - The deployment configuration validation functions should skip nodes that are in maintenance mode
- BZ - 1262425 - memcached needs the interleave=true pacemaker attribute
- BZ - 1265714 - Tempest has a wrong stack_owner_role value when deploying with osp-d
- BZ - 1266910 - All l3 agents go to standby ha_state after restarting haproxy resource
- BZ - 1267558 - Breakpoints are not deleted after stack-update operation
- BZ - 1267855 - unable to update overcloud configuration from underclound node.
- BZ - 1268415 - rhel-osp-director: unable to configure overcloud after creation using the OS::TripleO::NodeExtraConfigPost resource.
- BZ - 1271692 - python-rdomanager-oscplugin should not install unit tests
- BZ - 1272297 - CVE-2015-5303 python-rdomanager-oscplugin: NeutronMetadataProxySharedSecret parameter uses default value
- BZ - 1272347 - director stack update 7.0 to 7.1 KeystoneAdminApiNetwork change causes unwanted services restart
- BZ - 1272357 - director stack update 7.0 to 7.1 VIP change
- BZ - 1275324 - neutron-openvswitch-agent fails to restart under pacemaker
- BZ - 1275812 - overcloud deployment fails on not finding puppet resource
- BZ - 1281460 - ospd HA w/ templates deployment only brings up one controller instead of 3
- BZ - 1281777 - CVE-2015-5329 openstack-tripleo-heat-templates: Using hardcoded rabbitmq credentials regardless of supplied values
- BZ - 1284914 - Updating from 7.1 to 7.2 might fail with "ERROR: openstack 'NEUTRON_METADATA_PROXY_SHARED_SECRET'"
- BZ - 1285079 - orphaned keepalived processes remain in old neutron netns
- BZ - 1285363 - Deployment failure "httpd never started after 200 seconds"
- BZ - 1285485 - issue replacing the pacemaker cib during an update from a running 7.1 overcloud to 7.2/latest
- BZ - 1287624 - HA | External LB | Can't deploy HA with external LB because we don't have any haproxy resource to restart when deploying with external lb
- BZ - 1290582 - puppet / pacemaker race stopping and starting neutron-server on Step6 of puppet apply
- BZ - 1290796 - Set UpdateIdentifier after yum update causes subsequent scale out attempt to fail
Red Hat OpenStack 7