RHSA-2015:1858 - Security Advisory
Low: mod_proxy_fcgi and ceph security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated mod_proxy_fcgi and ceph packages that fix one security issue and
several bugs are now available for CentOS 6.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Low security
impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which
gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the CVE link in the
Red Hat Ceph Storage is a massively scalable, open, software-defined
storage platform that combines the most stable version of the Ceph storage
system with a Ceph management platform, deployment tools, and support
The mod_proxy_fcgi package provides a proxy module for the Apache 2.2 HTTP
A buffer overflow flaw was found in mod_proxy_fcgi's handle_headers()
function. A malicious FastCGI server that httpd is configured to connect to
could send a carefully crafted response that would cause an httpd child
process handling the request to crash. (CVE-2014-3583)
This update also fixes the following bugs:
- The RADOS gateway (RGW) can now properly decode the slash characters
("/") in clients' upload IDs. (BZ#1183182)
- The RGW's object attribute updates could race with other object updates
operations, which led to inconsistent object states, such as incomplete
object deletions. RGW now handles attribute updates correctly. (BZ#1206963)
- Recreating a previously existing bucket in RGW did not remove the bucket
instance metadata object and created a redundant object in the RGW pool.
The redundant objects are no longer generated. (BZ#1212524)
- The Content-Length header is now correctly created when creating a
container using the Swift API. (BZ#1213988)
- RGW did not properly cache users' keystone tokens and validated all
keystone tokens for every Swift operation. RGW now caches tokens correctly,
so that the token validation occurs only when necessary. (BZ#1213999)
- Modifying a user's Access Control List (ACL) permissions for an object in
RGW inappropriately caused the user to become the owner of the object.
This update fixes this bug. (BZ#1214051)
- RGW could fail to update the bucket attributes during a Swift API "POST"
operation. RGW now correctly updates the bucket attributes. (BZ#1214058)
- RGW no longer terminated unexpectedly when using keystone authentication
to copy an object. (BZ#1214061)
- An attempt to download an object greater than 512 KB using a range header
failed when using the Swift API. Objects can now be downloaded as expected.
- When using OpenStack's Cinder RADOS Block Device (RBD) back-end driver
with Ceph administration socket enabled, Ceph could leak file descriptors
and eventually consume the maximum number of allowed opened files.
This behavior caused Cinder's RBD connections to fail. Now, Ceph closes the
administration socket appropriately. (BZ#1220496)
- When a part of a multi-part object was resent, the object became broken
due a discrepancy between the object size when listing the object and when
stating the object. Now, multi-part objects no longer become broken in such
a case. (BZ#1222091)
- When the number of placement groups (PGs) in a pool was increased, Ceph
did not send watch or notify operations correctly. Consequently, the librbd
library presented inconsistent RBD snapshot data. Now, Ceph correctly
re-sends operations. (BZ#1245785)
- When reopening log files, Object Storage Devices (OSDs) could write data
to the incorrect file descriptor. Consequently, log entries were lost, or
were written to a file descriptor, which was opened by the filestore.
The latter case could cause data corruption. This bug has been fixed.
All mod_proxy_fcgi and ceph users are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
Refer to the following Knowledge Base article for a download link and
- Red Hat Ceph Storage 1.2 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage 1.2 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage Calamari 1.2 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage Calamari 1.2 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 1.2 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 1.2 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 1.2 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 1.2 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- BZ - 1163555 - CVE-2014-3583 httpd: mod_proxy_fcgi handle_headers() buffer over read
Red Hat Ceph Storage 1.2 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Ceph Storage 1.2 for RHEL 6
Red Hat Ceph Storage Calamari 1.2 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Ceph Storage Calamari 1.2 for RHEL 6
Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 1.2 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Ceph Storage MON 1.2 for RHEL 6
Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 1.2 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Ceph Storage OSD 1.2 for RHEL 6