RHSA-2015:1713 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
Updated rhev-hypervisor packages that fix multiple security issues, several
bugs, and add various enhancements are now available.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Important security
impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give
detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the
CVE links in the References section.
The rhev-hypervisor package provides a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
Hypervisor ISO disk image. The Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor
is a dedicated Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisor. It includes
everything necessary to run and manage virtual machines: A subset of the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating environment and the Red Hat Enterprise
Note: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor is only available for
the Intel 64 and AMD64 architectures with virtualization extensions.
A heap-based buffer overflow flaw was found in the way JasPer decoded JPEG
2000 image files. A specially crafted file could cause an application using
JasPer to crash or, possibly, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-8138)
A race condition flaw, leading to a heap-based memory corruption, was found
in spice's worker_update_monitors_config() function, which runs under the
QEMU-KVM context on the host. A user in a guest could leverage this flaw to
crash the host QEMU-KVM process or, possibly, execute arbitrary code with
the privileges of the host QEMU-KVM process. (CVE-2015-3247)
A double free flaw was found in the way JasPer parsed ICC color profiles in
JPEG 2000 image files. A specially crafted file could cause an application
using JasPer to crash or, possibly, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-8137)
It was found that the idle timeout in the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
Manager Web Admin interface failed to log out a session if a VM has been
selected in the VM grid view. This could allow a local attacker to access
the web interface if it was left unattended. (CVE-2015-1841)
Red Hat would like to thank oCERT for reporting CVE-2014-8137 and
CVE-2014-8138. oCERT acknowledges Jose Duart of the Google Security Team as
the original reporter. The CVE-2015-3247 issue was discovered by Frediano
Ziglio of Red Hat. The CVE-2015-1841 issue was discovered by Einav Cohen
of Red Hat.
This update also fixes the following bug:
- Previously, installing the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor 7
RPM on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 host failed, because no such thing was
available. Now, the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor 7 RPM is
available in the rhel-6-server-rhevh-rpms channel, and can be installed on
a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 host. (BZ#1193678)
In addition, this update adds the following enhancement:
- With this release, the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualizaton Hypervisor now
includes the drivers for the Dell Shared PERC8 RAID Controller.
Users of the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor are advised to
upgrade to this updated package.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization 6 x86_64
- BZ - 1173157 - CVE-2014-8137 jasper: double-free in in jas_iccattrval_destroy() (oCERT-2014-012)
- BZ - 1173162 - CVE-2014-8138 jasper: heap overflow in jp2_decode() (oCERT-2014-012)
- BZ - 1174708 - Adopt RHEV-H to RHEL 6.7
- BZ - 1206332 - CVE-2015-1841 RHEV-M: webadmin automatic logout fails if VM is selected
- BZ - 1225224 - Add qlogic 8.0.0 driver in RHEV-H builds
- BZ - 1231027 - [3.5.4-6.7] Incorrect qemu-kvm-rhev pkg in current rhevh 6.7-0609
- BZ - 1233145 - [6.7_3.5.4] Shown Error registering to RHN account after register rhevh into rhevm3.5 and then register it into RHN
- BZ - 1233238 - CVE-2015-3247 spice: memory corruption in worker_update_monitors_config()
- BZ - 1248942 - Incorrect values in /etc/os-release caused by using the incorrect redhat-release subpackage
Red Hat Virtualization 7
Red Hat Virtualization 6