RHSA-2015:0831 - Security Advisory
Important: openstack-packstack and openstack-puppet-modules update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated openstack-packstack and openstack-puppet-modules packages that fix
one security issue and adds one enhancement are now available for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 5.0 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Important
security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base
score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the
CVE link in the References section.
PackStack is a command-line utility for deploying OpenStack on existing
servers over an SSH connection. Deployment options are provided either
interactively, using the command line, or non-interactively by means of a
text file containing a set of preconfigured values for OpenStack
parameters. PackStack is suitable for deploying proof-of-concept
It was discovered that the puppet manifests, as provided with the
openstack-puppet-modules package, would configure the pcsd daemon with a
known default password. If this password was not changed and an attacker
was able to gain access to pcsd, they could potentially run shell
commands as root. (CVE-2015-1842)
This issue was discovered by Alessandro Vozza of Red Hat.
This update also adds the following enhancement:
- If OpenStack Networking (neutron) is enabled, Packstack now displays a
warning if the Network Manager service is active on hosts. (BZ#1117115)
All openstack-packstack and openstack-puppet-modules users are advised to
upgrade to these updated packages, which corrects this issue and adds
Before applying this update, ensure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 5 for RHEL 7 runs on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 7.1.
The Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 5 for RHEL 7 Release
Notes (see References section) contain the following:
- An explanation of the way in which the provided components interact to
form a working cloud computing environment.
- Technology Previews, Recommended Practices, and Known Issues.
- The channels required for Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 5
for RHEL 7, including which channels need to be enabled and disabled.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat OpenStack 5.0 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1066019 - Packstack parameter CONFIG_NEUTRON_L2_PLUGIN lacking usage examples in documentation
- BZ - 1117115 - packstack should warn installing openstack while NM is active
- BZ - 1120397 - [RFE]Disable file injection when using RBD as compute ephemeral storage
- BZ - 1141125 - swiftloopback vs swift_loopback in packstack python/puppet
- BZ - 1141615 - Keystone puppet module should set up PKI when UUID tokens are used
- BZ - 1147823 - Packstack SSL deployment, failed to start openstack-nova-compute returned 1
- BZ - 1153354 - packstack creates duplicate services/endpoints for cinder v2
- BZ - 1154024 - packstack: clear text password for heat
- BZ - 1174413 - neutron subnet-create error halts packstack installation
- BZ - 1201875 - CVE-2015-1842 openstack-puppet-modules: pacemaker configured with default password
Red Hat OpenStack 5.0 for RHEL 7