RHSA-2015:0698 - Security Advisory
Important: rhevm-spice-client security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated rhevm-spice-client packages that fix multiple security issues,
several bugs, and add one enhancement are now available for Red Hat
Enterprise Virtualization Manager 3.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Important security
impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give
detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the
CVE links in the References section.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager provides access to virtual
machines using SPICE. These SPICE client packages provide the SPICE client
and usbclerk service for both Windows 32-bit operating systems and Windows
64-bit operating systems.
This update adds support for the TLS Fallback Signaling Cipher Suite Value
(TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV), which can be used to prevent protocol downgrade
attacks against applications which re-connect using a lower SSL/TLS
protocol version when the initial connection indicating the highest
supported protocol version fails.
This can prevent a forceful downgrade of the communication to SSL 3.0.
The SSL 3.0 protocol was found to be vulnerable to the padding oracle
attack when using block cipher suites in cipher block chaining (CBC) mode.
This issue is identified as CVE-2014-3566, and also known under the alias
POODLE. This SSL 3.0 protocol flaw will not be addressed in a future
update; it is recommended that users configure their applications to
require at least TLS protocol version 1.0 for secure communication.
For additional information about this flaw, see the Knowledgebase article
Multiple flaws were found in the way JasPer decoded JPEG 2000 image files.
A specially crafted file could cause an application using JasPer to crash
or, possibly, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-8138, CVE-2014-8157,
CVE-2014-8158, CVE-2014-9029, CVE-2014-8137, CVE-2011-4516, CVE-2011-4517,
Red Hat would like to thank oCERT for reporting CVE-2014-8137,
CVE-2014-8138, CVE-2014-8157, CVE-2014-8158, CVE-2014-9029, CVE-2011-4516,
and CVE-2011-4517. oCERT acknowledges Jose Duart of the Google Security
Team as the original reporter of CVE-2014-8137 and CVE-2014-8138; and
pyddeh as the original reporter of CVE-2014-8157 and CVE-2014-8158.
The mingw-openssl and mingw-jasper packages have been upgraded to the
latest upstream version, which provides a number of bug fixes and
enhancements over the previous version. (BZ#1187585)
This update also fixes the following bugs:
- Previously, a guest system installed with tools incorrectly always
started in full screen mode, even when the "Open in Full Screen" option was
unchecked in console options. Now, when connecting in window mode with the
option unchecked, the guest system starts in a window as expected.
- Prior to this update, copying and pasting of images from the client to
the guest did not work when spice-gtk was built from upstream. Now, images
can be copied and pasted without problems. (BZ#1187270)
In addition, this update adds the following enhancement:
- Administrators now have the option of automatic multiuser installation of
virt-viewer onto many client workstations. (BZ#1187272)
All rhevm-spice-client users are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which correct these issues and add these enhancement.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 3.5 x86_64
- BZ - 461476 - CVE-2008-3520 jasper: multiple integer overflows in jas_alloc calls
- BZ - 461478 - CVE-2008-3522 jasper: possible buffer overflow in jas_stream_printf()
- BZ - 747726 - CVE-2011-4516 CVE-2011-4517 jasper: heap buffer overflow flaws lead to arbitrary code execution (CERT VU#887409)
- BZ - 1167537 - CVE-2014-9029 jasper: incorrect component number check in COC, RGN and QCC marker segment decoders (oCERT-2014-009)
- BZ - 1172126 - always fullscreen for SPICE-xpi
- BZ - 1173157 - CVE-2014-8137 jasper: double-free in in jas_iccattrval_destroy() (oCERT-2014-012)
- BZ - 1173162 - CVE-2014-8138 jasper: heap overflow in jp2_decode() (oCERT-2014-012)
- BZ - 1179282 - CVE-2014-8157 jasper: dec->numtiles off-by-one check in jpc_dec_process_sot() (oCERT-2015-001)
- BZ - 1179298 - CVE-2014-8158 jasper: unrestricted stack memory use in jpc_qmfb.c (oCERT-2015-001)
- BZ - 1187270 - copy/paste images does not work -- images are truncated
Red Hat Virtualization 3.5