RHSA-2014:0233 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
Updated openstack-packstack packages that fix one security issue and
multiple bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
Important security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the
CVE link in the References section.
PackStack is a command-line utility that uses Puppet modules to support
rapid deployment of OpenStack on existing servers over an SSH connection.
PackStack is suitable for deploying both single node proof-of-concept
installations and more complex multi-node installations.
It was found that PackStack did not correctly install the rules defined in
the default security groups when deployed on OpenStack Networking
(neutron), allowing network connections to be made to systems that should
not have been accessible. (CVE-2014-0071)
This update also fixes the following bugs:
- Previously, swift's object versioning was disabled by default. With this
update, this feature is now enabled in the default configuration file
('allow_versions "true"' in /etc/swift/container-server.conf). (BZ#967308)
- Previously, it was not possible to run neutron with Open vSwitch using
Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN). This update adds support for VXLAN in
- PackStack failed to complete the deployment of OpenStack due to the
MongoDB service (mongod) being terminated by systemd. This was because
mongod, when first started, exceeded the timeout value set by systemd.
With this update, mongod uses small files when it is initially started, and
no longer exceeds systemd's timeout value. (BZ#1036207)
- Previously, services for OpenStack Compute and other OpenStack components
ran in debug mode by default. With this update, the CONFIG_DEBUG_MODE
configuration parameter has been added. When this parameter is set to 'y',
all OpenStack services will run in debug mode. By default, debug mode is
Note: Currently, PackStack does not support deployment of the ML2 Neutron
plug-in. The ML2 plug-in can be used in manual configurations, or by
deploying initially with the Open vSwitch plug-in using PackStack and
converting the installation to use ML2. This method is described at
http://openstack.redhat.com/Modular_Layer_2_%28ML2%29_Plugin. The progress
on fixing this bug can be followed in Red Hat Bugzilla bug 1017144.
All openstack-packstack users are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat OpenStack 4.0 x86_64
- BZ - 967308 - allow swift object versioning by default
- BZ - 1021778 - Packstack should support VXLAN
- BZ - 1029671 - Keystone SQL Backend does not remove expired tokens
- BZ - 1034538 - Packstack puppet module firewall for Quickstack: newer version needed to support resilient iptables rules
- BZ - 1036207 - packstack requires 2 runs to install ceilometer
- BZ - 1042529 - Change qpid puppet module default for max_connections to be UINT16_MAX
- BZ - 1048041 - openstack-packstack install defaults to debug=true in nova
- BZ - 1048705 - packstack fails when qpid ssl enabled
- BZ - 1054498 - Horizon SSL is disabled by Nagios configuration via packstack
- BZ - 1064163 - CVE-2014-0071 OpenStack PackStack: Neutron Security Groups fail to block network traffic
- BZ - 1069215 - Packstack failed to configure Neutron to work with OVS and GRE
Red Hat OpenStack 4.0