RHSA-2014:0139 - Security Advisory
Moderate: pidgin security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated pidgin packages that fix multiple security issues are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores,
which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability
from the CVE links in the References section.
Pidgin is an instant messaging program which can log in to multiple
accounts on multiple instant messaging networks simultaneously.
A heap-based buffer overflow flaw was found in the way Pidgin processed
certain HTTP responses. A malicious server could send a specially crafted
HTTP response, causing Pidgin to crash or potentially execute arbitrary
code with the permissions of the user running Pidgin. (CVE-2013-6485)
Multiple heap-based buffer overflow flaws were found in several protocol
plug-ins in Pidgin (Gadu-Gadu, MXit, SIMPLE). A malicious server could send
a specially crafted message, causing Pidgin to crash or potentially execute
arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running Pidgin.
(CVE-2013-6487, CVE-2013-6489, CVE-2013-6490)
Multiple denial of service flaws were found in several protocol plug-ins in
Pidgin (Yahoo!, XMPP, MSN, stun, IRC). A remote attacker could use these
flaws to crash Pidgin by sending a specially crafted message.
(CVE-2012-6152, CVE-2013-6477, CVE-2013-6481, CVE-2013-6482, CVE-2013-6484,
It was found that the Pidgin XMPP protocol plug-in did not verify the
origin of "iq" replies. A remote attacker could use this flaw to spoof an
"iq" reply, which could lead to injection of fake data or cause Pidgin to
crash via a NULL pointer dereference. (CVE-2013-6483)
A flaw was found in the way Pidgin parsed certain HTTP response headers.
A remote attacker could use this flaw to crash Pidgin via a specially
crafted HTTP response header. (CVE-2013-6479)
It was found that Pidgin crashed when a mouse pointer was hovered over a
long URL. A remote attacker could use this flaw to crash Pidgin by sending
a message containing a long URL string. (CVE-2013-6478)
Red Hat would like to thank the Pidgin project for reporting these issues.
Upstream acknowledges Thijs Alkemade, Robert Vehse, Jaime Breva Ribes,
Jacob Appelbaum of the Tor Project, Daniel Atallah, Fabian Yamaguchi and
Christian Wressnegger of the University of Goettingen, Matt Jones of
Volvent, and Yves Younan, Ryan Pentney, and Pawel Janic of Sourcefire VRT
as the original reporters of these issues.
All pidgin users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to correct these issues. Pidgin must be
restarted for this update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to use the
Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 6.5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 6.5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 6.5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 6 ppc64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 6.5 ppc64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 6 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - TUS 6.5 x86_64
- BZ - 1056473 - CVE-2012-6152 pidgin: DoS when decoding non-UTF-8 strings in Yahoo protocol plugin
- BZ - 1056479 - CVE-2013-6477 pidgin: DoS when handling timestamps in the XMPP plugin
- BZ - 1056904 - CVE-2013-6478 pidgin: DoS when rendering long URLs
- BZ - 1056907 - CVE-2013-6479 pidgin: DoS when parsing certain HTTP response headers
- BZ - 1056908 - CVE-2013-6481 pidgin: DoS caused due to OOB read in Yahoo protocol plugin
- BZ - 1056913 - CVE-2013-6482 pidgin: DoS via multiple null pointer dereferences in MSN protocol plugin
- BZ - 1056978 - CVE-2013-6483 pidgin: Possible spoofing using iq replies in XMPP protocol plugin
- BZ - 1057481 - CVE-2013-6484 pidgin: DoS via specially-crafted stun messages
- BZ - 1057484 - CVE-2013-6485 pidgin: Heap-based buffer overflow when parsing chunked HTTP responses
- BZ - 1057489 - CVE-2013-6487 pidgin: Heap-based buffer overflow in Gadu-Gadu protocol plugin
- BZ - 1057490 - CVE-2013-6489 pidgin: Heap-based buffer overflow in MXit emoticon parsing
- BZ - 1057498 - CVE-2013-6490 pidgin: Heap-based buffer overflow in SIMPLE protocol plugin
- BZ - 1057502 - CVE-2014-0020 pidgin: DoS in IRC protocol plugin due to arguement parsing
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5