RHSA-2013:0924 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
An update for spice-vdagent-win that fixes one security issue and several
bugs is now available.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the
CVE link in the References section.
spice-vdagent-win provides a service and an agent that can be installed and
run on Windows guests.
An unquoted search path flaw was found in the way the SPICE service was
installed on Windows. Depending on the permissions of the directories in
the unquoted search path, a local, unprivileged user could use this flaw to
have a binary of their choosing executed with SYSTEM privileges.
This update also fixes the following bugs:
- Previously, due to issues with some Windows guest applications, RHEV
SPICE agent stopped getting clipboard changes. Now, the agent uses a new
API that keeps track of clipboard changes, without the need to "trust" the
behavior of other applications registered to the clipboard. (BZ#919451)
- Previously, copying a .jpg or .png image file from specific applications,
such as Mozilla Firefox, on a Windows guest, then pasting into a Linux
client, resulted in an empty or black and white image due to incorrect
pallete encoding in the guest vdagent. Now, the encoding has been fixed and
copying and pasting works as expected. (BZ#919150)
- Previously, when using a Windows virtual machine, enabling extra monitors
with arbitrary configuration could fail. Now the agent enables the monitors
before updating it to an arbitrary resolution to solve this issue.
- Previously, if SPICE was disconnected in the middle of copying and
pasting data from the client to the guest, copy and paste would stop
working after SPICE was reconnected. Now, the clipboard timeout has been
adjusted so that if SPICE is unexpectedly disconnected, the immediate copy
and paste action will fail, but subsequent attempts will be successful.
- Previously, when attempting to connect multiple displays using a Windows
7 guest, remote-viewer would only show one display available, even when all
settings in the manager and on the SPICE client itself were correctly
configured. This was caused by a regression issue relating to changes to
custom resolution commands. Now, connecting and displaying multiple
monitors functions correctly. (BZ#922283)
- Previously, due to a regression caused by another patch, copying a .png
image from specific applications, such as Firefox, on a Linux client,
failed pasting into a Windows guest application, such as Paint, due to
incorrect pallete encoding in the guest vdagent. Now, the encoding has been
fixed and copying and pasting works as expected. (BZ#921980)
- Previously, when a second user logged into a Windows guest, the RHEV
SPICE Agent service terminated the previous vdagent instance, but
mistakenly also the newly created vdagent on the current active session.
Now, the vdagent termination event is reset after previous agent
termination, so each new agent is no longer terminated. (BZ#868254)
- Previously, if "RHEV SPICE agent" was stopped after copying data from a
Windows guest, the client was not correctly notified, and assumed it could
still paste the data. Now, agent termination has been fixed so that the
client is notified to release the clipboard. (BZ#903379)
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization users that are using SPICE to connect to
their virtual machines are advised to install this update.
- Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 6 x86_64
- Red Hat Virtualization 6 x86_64
- BZ - 833835 - copy-paste stops working after client disconnection during a copy-paste
- BZ - 868254 - vdagent-win exits if two users are logged in simultaneously
- BZ - 903379 - Stop the spice-vdagent on a Windows VM and the client right-click menu still shows you can paste with an empty clipboard.
- BZ - 922283 - win-vdagent: does not enable extra displays
- BZ - 922394 - --full-screen=auto-conf doesn't turn on disabled guest monitors
- BZ - 971172 - CVE-2013-2152 rhevm: spice service unquoted search path
Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 6
Red Hat Virtualization 6