RHSA-2013:0658 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
Updated openstack-cinder packages that fix two security issues and add one
enhancement are now available for Red Hat OpenStack Folsom.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores,
which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability
from the CVE links in the References section.
The openstack-cinder packages provide OpenStack Volume (code name Cinder),
which provides services to manage and access block storage volumes for use
by virtual machine instances.
A denial of service flaw was found in the Extensible Markup Language (XML)
parser used by Cinder. A remote attacker could use this flaw to send a
specially-crafted request to a Cinder API, causing Cinder to consume an
excessive amount of CPU and memory. (CVE-2013-1664)
A flaw was found in the XML parser used by Cinder. If a remote attacker
sent a specially-crafted request to a Cinder API, it could cause Cinder to
connect to external entities, causing a large amount of system load, or
allow an attacker to read files on the Cinder server that are accessible
to the user running Cinder. (CVE-2013-1665)
This update also adds the following enhancement:
- This update implements a Cinder driver that allows Red Hat Storage to be
used as a back-end for Cinder volumes. To use this driver,
"volume_driver = cinder.volume.glusterfs.GlusterfsDriver" and the
"glusterfs_shares_config" option must be set in "/etc/cinder/cinder.conf",
and the RHSA-2013:0657 openstack-nova update must also be installed. Note
that there is no volume snapshot or clone support when using this driver.
All users of openstack-cinder are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which fix these issues and add this enhancement. After installing
the updated packages, the Cinder running services will be restarted
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat OpenStack folsom x86_64
- BZ - 892686 - Develop Cinder driver for Gluster/Red Hat Storage backend for volume support
- BZ - 910222 - CVE-2013-1664 CVE-2013-1665 OpenStack cinder: XML entity parsing
- BZ - 912982 - CVE-2013-1665 Python xml bindings: External entity expansion in Python XML libraries inflicts potential security flaws and DoS vulnerabilities
- BZ - 913808 - CVE-2013-1664 Python xml bindings: Internal entity expansion in Python XML libraries inflicts DoS vulnerabilities
Red Hat OpenStack folsom