RHSA-2011:1264 - Security Advisory
Important: gstreamer-plugins security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated gstreamer-plugins packages that fix multiple security issues are
now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base
scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each
vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The gstreamer-plugins packages contain plug-ins used by the GStreamer
streaming-media framework to support a wide variety of media formats.
An integer overflow flaw, a boundary error, and multiple off-by-one flaws
were found in various ModPlug music file format library (libmodplug)
modules, embedded in GStreamer. An attacker could create specially-crafted
music files that, when played by a victim, would cause applications using
GStreamer to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2011-2911,
CVE-2011-2912, CVE-2011-2913, CVE-2011-2914, CVE-2011-2915)
All users of gstreamer-plugins are advised to upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues. After
installing the update, all applications using GStreamer (such as Rhythmbox)
must be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 4 ppc
- BZ - 728371 - CVE-2011-2911 CVE-2011-2912 CVE-2011-2913 CVE-2011-2914 CVE-2011-2915 libmodplug: multiple vulnerabilities reported in <= 0.8.8.3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 4