RHSA-2011:0025 - Security Advisory
Low: gcc security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Low
Updated gcc packages that fix two security issues and several compiler bugs
are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having low
security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores,
which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability
from the CVE links in the References section.
The gcc packages include C, C++, Java, Fortran, Objective C, and Ada 95 GNU
compilers, along with related support libraries. The libgcj package
provides fastjar, an archive tool for Java Archive (JAR) files.
Two directory traversal flaws were found in the way fastjar extracted JAR
archive files. If a local, unsuspecting user extracted a specially-crafted
JAR file, it could cause fastjar to overwrite arbitrary files writable by
the user running fastjar. (CVE-2010-0831, CVE-2010-2322)
This update also fixes the following bugs:
- The option -print-multi-os-directory in the gcc --help output is not in
the gcc(1) man page. This update applies an upstream patch to amend this.
- An internal assertion in the compiler tried to check that a C++ static
data member is external which resulted in errors. This was because when the
compiler optimizes C++ anonymous namespaces the declarations were no longer
marked external as everything on anonymous namespaces is local to the
current translation. This update corrects the assertion to resolve this
issue. (BZ#503565, BZ#508735, BZ#582682)
- Attempting to compile certain .cpp files could have resulted in an
internal compiler error. This update resolves this issue. (BZ#527510)
- PrintServiceLookup.lookupPrintServices with an appropriate DocFlavor
failed to return a list of printers under gcj. This update includes a
backported patch to correct this bug in the printer lookup service.
- GCC would not build against xulrunner-devel-1.9.2. This update removes
gcjwebplugin from the GCC RPM. (BZ#596097)
- When a SystemTap generated kernel module was compiled, gcc reported an
internal compiler error and gets a segmentation fault. This update applies
a patch that, instead of crashing, assumes it can point to anything.
- There was a performance issue with libstdc++ regarding all objects
derived from or using std::streambuf because of lock contention between
threads. This patch ensures reload uses the same value from _S_global for
the comparison, _M_add_reference () and _M_impl member of the class.
All gcc users should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches to correct these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5 i386
- BZ - 503565 - libtorrent-rasterbar won't compile, internal compiler error: in make_rtl_for_nonlocal_decl
- BZ - 508735 - internal gcc error
- BZ - 527510 - Internal compiler error from gcc
- BZ - 529659 - Option -print-multi-os-directory is not described in man page gcc(1)
- BZ - 578382 - PrintServiceLookup.lookupPrintServices(DocFlavor.SERVICE_FORMATTED.PAGEABLE, null) in a simple test java program fails to list printers when run with gcj - Any conventional JRE seems to work that I have tested
- BZ - 582682 - internal compiler error: in make_rtl_for_nonlocal_decl
- BZ - 594497 - CVE-2010-0831 CVE-2010-2322 fastjar: directory traversal vulnerabilities
- BZ - 596097 - gcc doesn't build against xulrunner-devel-1.9.2
- BZ - 605803 - gcc gets an internal compiler error when compiling a kernel module
- BZ - 635708 - Huge performance problem with libstdc++ and multithread applications
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server from RHUI 5