RHSA-2010:0754 - Security Advisory
Important: cups security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated cups packages that fix one security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the
CVE link in the References section.
The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) provides a portable printing layer
for UNIX operating systems. The CUPS "pdftops" filter converts Portable
Document Format (PDF) files to PostScript.
An uninitialized pointer use flaw was discovered in the CUPS "pdftops"
filter. An attacker could create a malicious PDF file that, when printed,
would cause "pdftops" to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code as
the "lp" user. (CVE-2010-3702)
Users of cups are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch to correct this issue. After installing this
update, the cupsd daemon will be restarted automatically.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 595245 - CVE-2010-3702 xpdf: uninitialized Gfx::parser pointer dereference
This erratum does not contain any packages.