RHSA-2010:0705 - Security Advisory
Important: kernel security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix one security issue are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 Extended Update Support.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available from the
CVE link in the References section.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
This update fixes the following security issue:
- The compat_alloc_user_space() function in the Linux kernel 32/64-bit
compatibility layer implementation was missing sanity checks. This function
could be abused in other areas of the Linux kernel if its length argument
can be controlled from user-space. On 64-bit systems, a local, unprivileged
user could use this flaw to escalate their privileges. (CVE-2010-3081,
Red Hat would like to thank Ben Hawkes for reporting this issue.
Red Hat is aware that a public exploit for this issue is available. Refer
to Knowledgebase article DOC-40265 for further details:
Users should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a backported
patch to correct this issue. The system must be rebooted for this update to
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
To install kernel packages manually, use "rpm -ivh [package]". Do not
use "rpm -Uvh" as that will remove the running kernel binaries from
your system. You may use "rpm -e" to remove old kernels after
determining that the new kernel functions properly on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 - Extended Update Support 5.4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 - Extended Update Support 5.4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 - Extended Update Support 5.4 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 5.4 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 5.4 ppc
- BZ - 634457 - CVE-2010-3081 kernel: 64-bit Compatibility Mode Stack Pointer Underflow
The Red Hat security contact is email@example.com. More contact details at https://access.redhat.com/security/team/contact/.