RHSA-2010:0577 - Security Advisory
Important: freetype security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated freetype packages that fix various security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base
scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each
vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
FreeType is a free, high-quality, portable font engine that can open and
manage font files. It also loads, hints, and renders individual glyphs
efficiently. These packages provide both the FreeType 1 and FreeType 2 font
An integer overflow flaw was found in the way the FreeType font engine
processed font files. If a user loaded a carefully-crafted font file with
an application linked against FreeType, it could cause the application to
crash or, possibly, execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user
running the application. (CVE-2010-2500)
Several buffer overflow flaws were found in the FreeType demo applications.
If a user loaded a carefully-crafted font file with a demo application, it
could cause the application to crash or, possibly, execute arbitrary code
with the privileges of the user running the application. (CVE-2010-2527,
Red Hat would like to thank Robert Swiecki of the Google Security Team for
the discovery of the CVE-2010-2500 and CVE-2010-2527 issues.
Note: All of the issues in this erratum only affect the FreeType 2 font
Users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which contain
backported patches to correct these issues. The X server must be restarted
(log out, then log back in) for this update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 613167 - CVE-2010-2500 freetype: integer overflow vulnerability in smooth/ftgrays.c
- BZ - 614557 - CVE-2010-2527 Freetype demos multiple buffer overflows
- BZ - 617342 - CVE-2010-2541 Freetype ftmulti buffer overflow
The Red Hat security contact is firstname.lastname@example.org. More contact details at https://access.redhat.com/security/team/contact/.