RHSA-2010:0520 - Security Advisory
Important: libtiff security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated libtiff packages that fix two security issues are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
important security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base
scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each
vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The libtiff packages contain a library of functions for manipulating Tagged
Image File Format (TIFF) files.
Multiple integer overflow flaws, leading to a buffer overflow, were
discovered in libtiff. An attacker could use these flaws to create a
specially-crafted TIFF file that, when opened, would cause an application
linked against libtiff to crash or, possibly, execute arbitrary code.
An input validation flaw was discovered in libtiff. An attacker could use
this flaw to create a specially-crafted TIFF file that, when opened, would
cause an application linked against libtiff to crash. (CVE-2010-2598)
Red Hat would like to thank Apple Product Security for responsibly
reporting the CVE-2010-1411 flaw, who credit Kevin Finisterre of
digitalmunition.com for the discovery of the issue.
All libtiff users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve these issues. All running
applications linked against libtiff must be restarted for this update to
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 592361 - CVE-2010-1411 libtiff: integer overflows leading to heap overflow in Fax3SetupState
- BZ - 610786 - CVE-2010-2598 libtiff: crash when reading image with not configured compression
This erratum does not contain any packages.