RHSA-2010:0408 - Security Advisory
Moderate: java-1.4.2-ibm security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated java-1.4.2-ibm packages that fix various security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5 for SAP.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores,
which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability
from the CVE links in the References section.
The IBM 1.4.2 SR13-FP4 Java release includes the IBM Java 2 Runtime
Environment and the IBM Java 2 Software Development Kit.
This update fixes various vulnerabilities in the IBM Java 2 Runtime
Environment and the IBM Java 2 Software Development Kit. These
vulnerabilities are summarized on the IBM "Security alerts" page listed in
the References section. (CVE-2009-3555, CVE-2009-3867, CVE-2009-3869,
CVE-2009-3871, CVE-2009-3874, CVE-2009-3875)
For the CVE-2009-3555 issue, this update disables renegotiation in the
non-default IBM JSSE2 provider for the Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE)
component. The default JSSE provider is not updated with this fix. Refer to
the IBMJSSE2 Provider Reference Guide, linked to in the References, for
instructions on how to configure the IBM Java 2 Runtime Environment to use
the JSSE2 provider by default.
When using the JSSE2 provider, unsafe renegotiation can be re-enabled using
the com.ibm.jsse2.renegotiate property. Refer to the following
Knowledgebase article for details:
Warning: Do not install these java-1.4.2-ibm packages for SAP alongside the
java-1.4.2-ibm packages from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Extras or
Supplementary channels on the Red Hat Network. Doing so could cause your
system to fail to update cleanly, among other possible problems.
All users of java-1.4.2-ibm for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5 for SAP
are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which contain the IBM
1.4.2 SR13-FP4 Java release. All running instances of IBM Java must be
restarted for this update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP from RHUI 5 x86_64
- BZ - 530057 - CVE-2009-3875 OpenJDK MessageDigest.isEqual introduces timing attack vulnerabilities (6863503)
- BZ - 530062 - CVE-2009-3869 OpenJDK JRE AWT setDifflCM stack overflow (6872357)
- BZ - 530063 - CVE-2009-3871 OpenJDK JRE AWT setBytePixels heap overflow (6872358)
- BZ - 530067 - CVE-2009-3874 OpenJDK ImageI/O JPEG heap overflow (6874643)
- BZ - 533125 - CVE-2009-3555 TLS: MITM attacks via session renegotiation
- BZ - 533214 - CVE-2009-3867 java-1.5.0-sun, java-1.6.0-sun: Stack-based buffer overflow via a long file: URL argument (6854303)
This erratum does not contain any packages.