RHSA-2009:1528 - Security Advisory
Moderate: samba security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated samba packages that fix a security issue and a bug are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Samba is a suite of programs used by machines to share files, printers, and
A denial of service flaw was found in the Samba smbd daemon. An
authenticated, remote user could send a specially-crafted response that
would cause an smbd child process to enter an infinite loop. An
authenticated, remote user could use this flaw to exhaust system resources
by opening multiple CIFS sessions. (CVE-2009-2906)
This update also fixes the following bug:
- the RHSA-2007:0354 update added code to escape input passed to scripts
that are run by Samba. This code was missing "c" from the list of valid
characters, causing it to be escaped. With this update, the previous patch
has been updated to include "c" in the list of valid characters.
Users of Samba should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch to correct this issue. After installing this update,
the smb service will be restarted automatically.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 242754 - Missing character bug in latest security patches
- BZ - 526645 - CVE-2009-2906 samba: infinite loop flaw in smbd on unexpected oplock break notification reply
This erratum does not contain any packages.