RHSA-2009:1233 - Security Advisory
Important: kernel security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix two security issues are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
These updated packages fix the following security issues:
- a flaw was found in the SOCKOPS_WRAP macro in the Linux kernel. This
macro did not initialize the sendpage operation in the proto_ops structure
correctly. A local, unprivileged user could use this flaw to cause a local
denial of service or escalate their privileges. (CVE-2009-2692, Important)
- a flaw was found in the udp_sendmsg() implementation in the Linux kernel
when using the MSG_MORE flag on UDP sockets. A local, unprivileged user
could use this flaw to cause a local denial of service or escalate their
privileges. (CVE-2009-2698, Important)
Red Hat would like to thank Tavis Ormandy and Julien Tinnes of the Google
Security Team for responsibly reporting these flaws.
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 users should upgrade to these updated
packages, which contain backported patches to resolve these issues. The
system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 516949 - CVE-2009-2692 kernel: uninit op in SOCKOPS_WRAP() leads to privesc
- BZ - 518034 - CVE-2009-2698 kernel: udp socket NULL ptr dereference
This erratum does not contain any packages.