RHSA-2009:1181 - Security Advisory
Important: bind security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated bind packages that fix a security issue and a bug are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) is an implementation of the Domain
Name System (DNS) protocols. BIND includes a DNS server (named); a resolver
library (routines for applications to use when interfacing with DNS); and
tools for verifying that the DNS server is operating correctly.
A flaw was found in the way BIND handles dynamic update message packets
containing the "ANY" record type. A remote attacker could use this flaw to
send a specially-crafted dynamic update packet that could cause named to
exit with an assertion failure. (CVE-2009-0696)
Note: even if named is not configured for dynamic updates, receiving such
a specially-crafted dynamic update packet could still cause named to exit
This update also fixes the following bug:
- the following message could have been logged: "internal_accept: fcntl()
failed: Too many open files". With these updated packages, timeout queries
are aborted in order to reduce the number of open UDP sockets, and when the
accept() function returns an EMFILE error value, that situation is now
handled gracefully, thus resolving the issue. (BZ#498164)
All BIND users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve these issues. After installing the
update, the BIND daemon (named) will be restarted automatically.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 498164 - bind-9.2.4-22.el3 and too many open files
- BZ - 514292 - CVE-2009-0696 bind: DoS (assertion failure) via nsupdate packets
This erratum does not contain any packages.