RHSA-2009:1059 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
An updated pidgin package that fixes two security issues is now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Pidgin is an instant messaging program which can log in to multiple
accounts on multiple instant messaging networks simultaneously.
A buffer overflow flaw was found in the way Pidgin initiates file transfers
when using the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). If a
Pidgin client initiates a file transfer, and the remote target sends a
malformed response, it could cause Pidgin to crash or, potentially, execute
arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running Pidgin. This flaw
only affects accounts using XMPP, such as Jabber and Google Talk.
It was discovered that on 32-bit platforms, the Red Hat Security Advisory
RHSA-2008:0584 provided an incomplete fix for the integer overflow flaw
affecting Pidgin's MSN protocol handler. If a Pidgin client receives a
specially-crafted MSN message, it may be possible to execute arbitrary code
with the permissions of the user running Pidgin. (CVE-2009-1376)
Note: By default, when using an MSN account, only users on your buddy list
can send you messages. This prevents arbitrary MSN users from exploiting
All Pidgin users should upgrade to this update package, which contains
backported patches to resolve these issues. Pidgin must be restarted for
this update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc