RHSA-2009:1055 - Security Advisory
Important: kernel security and bug fix update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix one security issue and a bug are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2 Extended Update Support.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
This update fixes the following security issue:
- a buffer overflow was found in the Linux kernel Partial Reliable Stream
Control Transmission Protocol (PR-SCTP) implementation. This could,
potentially, lead to a remote denial of service or arbitrary code execution
if a Forward-TSN chunk is received with a large stream ID. Note: An
established connection between SCTP endpoints is necessary to exploit this
vulnerability. Refer to the Knowledgebase article in the References section
for further information. (CVE-2009-0065, Important)
This update also fixes the following bug:
- a problem in the way the i5000_edac module reported errors may have
caused the console on some systems to be flooded with errors, similar to
EDAC i5000 MC0: NON-FATAL ERROR Found!!! 1st NON-FATAL Err Reg= [hex value]
EDAC i5000: NON-Retry Errors, bits= [hex value]
After installing this update, the console will not be flooded with these
Users should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported
patches to correct these issues. The system must be rebooted for this
update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 5.2 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 5.2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 5.2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 5.2 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 5.2 ppc
- BZ - 478800 - CVE-2009-0065 kernel: sctp: memory overflow when FWD-TSN chunk is received with bad stream ID
This erratum does not contain any packages.