RHSA-2009:0428 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated cups packages that fix one security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Common UNIX® Printing System (CUPS) provides a portable printing layer
for UNIX operating systems.
An integer overflow flaw, leading to a heap-based buffer overflow, was
discovered in the Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) decoding routines used by
the CUPS image-converting filters, "imagetops" and "imagetoraster". An
attacker could create a malicious TIFF file that could, potentially,
execute arbitrary code as the "lp" user if the file was printed.
Red Hat would like to thank Aaron Sigel of the Apple Product Security team
for responsibly reporting this flaw.
Users of cups are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch to correct this issue. After installing the
update, the cupsd daemon will be restarted automatically.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc