RHSA-2009:0358 - Security Advisory
Moderate: evolution security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated evolution packages that fixes multiple security issues are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Evolution is the integrated collection of e-mail, calendaring, contact
management, communications, and personal information management (PIM) tools
for the GNOME desktop environment.
It was discovered that evolution did not properly validate NTLM (NT LAN
Manager) authentication challenge packets. A malicious server using NTLM
authentication could cause evolution to disclose portions of its memory or
crash during user authentication. (CVE-2009-0582)
An integer overflow flaw which could cause heap-based buffer overflow was
found in the Base64 encoding routine used by evolution. This could cause
evolution to crash, or, possibly, execute an arbitrary code when large
untrusted data blocks were Base64-encoded. (CVE-2009-0587)
All users of evolution are advised to upgrade to these updated packages,
which contain backported patches to correct these issues. All running
instances of evolution must be restarted for the update to take effect.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 487685 - CVE-2009-0582 evolution-data-server: insufficient checking of NTLM authentication challenge packets
- BZ - 488226 - CVE-2009-0587 evolution-data-server: integer overflow in base64 encoding functions
This erratum does not contain any packages.