RHSA-2009:0340 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated libpng and libpng10 packages that fix a security issue are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The libpng packages contain a library of functions for creating and
manipulating PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image format files.
A flaw was discovered in libpng that could result in libpng trying to
free() random memory if certain, unlikely error conditions occurred. If a
carefully-crafted PNG file was loaded by an application linked against
libpng, it could cause the application to crash or, potentially, execute
arbitrary code with the privileges of the user running the application.
Users of libpng and libpng10 should upgrade to these updated packages,
which contain backported patches to correct these issues. All running
applications using libpng or libpng10 must be restarted for the update to
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 486355 - CVE-2009-0040 libpng arbitrary free() flaw