RHSA-2008:0576 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated rdesktop packages that fix a security issues are now available for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
rdesktop is an open source client for Microsoft Windows NT Terminal Server
and Microsoft Windows 2000 and 2003 Terminal Services, capable of natively
using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to present the user's NT desktop.
No additional server extensions are required.
An integer underflow vulnerability was discovered in the rdesktop. If an
attacker could convince a victim to connect to a malicious RDP server, the
attacker could cause the victim's rdesktop to crash or, possibly, execute
an arbitrary code. (CVE-2008-1801)
Users of rdesktop should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain a
backported patch to resolve this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 445825 - CVE-2008-1801 rdesktop: iso_recv_msg() Integer Underflow Vulnerability