RHSA-2008:0196 - Security Advisory
Moderate: unzip security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated unzip packages that fix a security issue are now available.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The unzip utility is used to list, test, or extract files from a zip
An invalid pointer flaw was found in unzip. If a user ran unzip on a
specially crafted file, an attacker could execute arbitrary code with that
user's privileges. (CVE-2008-0888)
Red Hat would like to thank Tavis Ormandy of the Google Security Team for
reporting this issue.
All unzip users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch to resolve this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 431438 - CVE-2008-0888 unzip: free() called for uninitialized or already freed pointer
This erratum does not contain any packages.