RHSA-2008:0178 - Security Advisory
Critical: evolution security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated evolution packages that fix a format string bug are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.5 Extended Update Support.
This update has been rated as having critical security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Evolution is the GNOME collection of personal information management (PIM)
A format string flaw was found in the way Evolution displayed encrypted
mail content. If a user opened a carefully crafted mail message, arbitrary
code could be executed as the user running Evolution. (CVE-2008-0072)
All users of Evolution should upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain a backported patch which resolves this issue.
Red Hat would like to thank Ulf Harnhammar of Secunia Research for finding
and reporting this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - Extended Update Support 4.5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 4.5 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems - Extended Update Support 4.5 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 4.5 ppc
- BZ - 435759 - CVE-2008-0072 Evolution format string flaw
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian - Extended Update Support 4.5