RHSA-2008:0153 - Security Advisory
Important: cups security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated cups packages that fixes two security issues and a bug are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
The Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) provides a portable printing layer
for UNIX(R) operating systems.
A flaw was found in the way CUPS handled the addition and removal of remote
shared printers via IPP. A remote attacker could send malicious UDP IPP
packets causing the CUPS daemon to attempt to dereference already freed
memory and crash. (CVE-2008-0597)
A memory management flaw was found in the way CUPS handled the addition and
removal of remote shared printers via IPP. When shared printer was
removed, allocated memory was not properly freed, leading to a memory leak
possibly causing CUPS daemon crash after exhausting available memory.
These issues were found during the investigation of CVE-2008-0882, which
did not affect Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
Note that the default configuration of CUPS on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
3 allow requests of this type only from the local subnet.
In addition, these updated cups packages fix a bug that occurred when using
the CUPS polling daemon. Excessive debugging log information was saved to
the error_log file regardless of the LogLevel setting, which filled up disk
All CUPS users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
contain backported patches to resolve this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 246545 - Cups fills up logfiles if queue is turned on
- BZ - 433825 - CVE-2008-0596 cups: memory leak handling IPP browse requests
- BZ - 433847 - CVE-2008-0597 cups: dereference of free'd memory handling IPP browse requests
This erratum does not contain any packages.