RHSA-2008:0134 - Security Advisory
Moderate: tcltk security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
Updated tcltk packages that fix a security issue are now available for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, and 3.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.
Tcl is a scripting language designed for embedding into other applications
and for use with Tk, a widget set.
An input validation flaw was discovered in Tk's GIF image handling. A
code-size value read from a GIF image was not properly validated before
being used, leading to a buffer overflow. A specially crafted GIF file
could use this to cause a crash or, potentially, execute code with the
privileges of the application using the Tk graphical toolkit.
A buffer overflow flaw was discovered in Tk's animated GIF image handling.
An animated GIF containing an initial image smaller than subsequent images
could cause a crash or, potentially, execute code with the privileges of
the application using the Tk library. (CVE-2007-5378)
A flaw in the Tcl regular expression handling engine was discovered by Will
Drewry. This flaw, first discovered in the Tcl regular expression engine
used in the PostgreSQL database server, resulted in an infinite loop when
processing certain regular expressions. (CVE-2007-4772)
All users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages which contain
backported patches which resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 316511 - CVE-2007-4772 postgresql DoS via infinite loop in regex NFA optimization code
- BZ - 332021 - CVE-2007-5378 Tk GIF processing buffer overflow
- BZ - 431518 - CVE-2008-0553 tk: GIF handling buffer overflow
This erratum does not contain any packages.